You never know when someone may get injured in your household, especially if you are hiring outside help. It’s important that you protect not only yourself but others as well, especially if they are working in your home. You’re going to be financially liable for anyone injured on your property or your home, and you can never fully prepare for accidents.

Therefore, it makes sense that you protect yourself by getting the appropriate coverage for your household help so that you don’t have to pay the price later on. However, most people don’t know how much coverage they should be getting. All that comes down to what assets you’re protecting, along with the nature of the work the employee will be involved in.

As always, it is best to consult with an insurance professional so that you are covered adequately for any accidents that happen in your home or on your property. To help you out, we are going to be sharing some vital information to help you out. This will help you figure out when you need to get insurance for your household help and how much insurance coverage you will need.

If You’re Contracting Workers from an Outside Company

In many instances, you may be contracting workers from an outside company to work in your home. This will mainly be for household chores and tasks in your home and will cover occupations like a cook, a nurse, a housekeeper, or a physical therapist. In such cases, you will mainly be working with an agency or business that offers such professional services. So, if you’re contracting workers from an outside company, here is what you need to do:

·         Find out about the employer

If you’re hiring workers from an agency or a firm, then they will generally be covered by the insurance policy of that business, since they are an employee. It’s important that you understand this little detail when contracting a worker with an outside firm.

·         Get a copy of insurance and certificates from the company

You must have solid proof and documentation that the company offers all its workers’ compensation for employees. Check whether the company also provides disability and health insurance, since that will put your mind at ease knowing that workers will get the necessary medical treatment if they do manage to get injured in your home or on your property.

If You’re Hiring Occasional Workers

You should review the insurance policy you currently have if you hire occasional workers to work in your home or on your property. These would entail hiring help to take care of the children, get someone to rake the leaves on your lawn, or get someone to clean out the garage. Here’s what you should check on your insurance policy:

·         The No-Fault Medical Coverage

You need to check the no-fault medical coverage that will be included in your renter’s insurance or homeowner’s insurance policy. This will help when someone you have hired to work in your home or property gets injured since it ensures that you get reimbursement from your insurance company by submitting their medical bills. You will need to check that you have got the appropriate coverage in your insurance policy for this to work.

·         Check the Liability Insurance

You will have to check the current liability insurance you have in your renter’s or homeowner’s insurance policy. You may need to buy an umbrella liability policy so that you can increase the current coverage or buy more coverage.

If You’re Hiring Permanent Full or Part-Time Employees

You will need to get workers’ compensation insurance, especially if you hire employees to work in your home on a regular, full-time basis. When you get workers’ compensation insurance, it offers full coverage for physical rehabilitation and medical care for any employee who gets injured and will also cover the lost wages of the employee if they can’t work anymore or are severely hurt. It also offers protection for the worst-case scenario as you get a death benefit with it as well.

·         Learn the State Requirements for Workers’ Compensation

You need to quickly find out about the state requirements for workers’ compensation, depending on the type of employees you are hiring to work full-time or on a part-time basis. These may include employees like gardeners or housekeepers.

·         Determine Mandatory Coverage Requirements

You will also need to learn about the mandatory coverage requirements for the workers’ compensation coverage. In some states, employers who hire employees are required by the law to purchase workers’ compensation. The rules can be different in other states, where it could be determined by how many hours the employee works for you.

·         Don’t Forget about the Law

Avoid paying any fines or risk getting taken to court by learning about all the laws governing workers’ compensation insurance, especially if you are hiring full or part-time employees to work in your home or on your property.

If the Employee Will Be Driving Your Car

If the person you have hired to work in your home or on your property will be driving your car, you need to inform your auto insurance company. For instance, you may have them take your parents for a medical checkup or have them going grocery shopping for you.

Irrespective of how the employee uses the car, you need to alert your insurance company about the extra driver. This will ensure that your auto insurer is aware of someone else driving your car, and they can then explain the available options.